Am I A Feminist? Yes And No.

You guys kept asking for it so don't get mad at me for responding with the truth.
I have exclaimed many times on my social media that I am not a feminist, but here's the truth, I lied. My view on feminism is extremely complex, and in order to shorten my explanation I just tell people that I'm not a feminist. I'd rather not put the time and effort into explaining my stance so its easier to just say, "No I'm not a feminist." Here's the thing though, everyone is a feminist, well, a person with rational thinking is. Who in their right mind genuinely believes that women are not worthy of education because of their genitals? Or that they deserve to be beaten because they're "just women". The truth is this, any rational human being wants equality for everyone regardless of race, sex, or class. If you are a rational human being you will fight for the rights of everyone, including women. I am grateful for my feminist sisters in the past that fought for my right to go to school and for my right to vote. The concept of feminism is beautiful: fighting against the oppression of women. I am a feminist, but then again I am not. There are a few key points where my beliefs differ from the modern feminist. These key beliefs of mine are the reasons I say I am not a feminist.
1. Feminism does not fight for men's rights. It's called feminism for a reason. Feminism was created to help fight the oppression against women in particular. Women have been oppressed for centuries, not men. This is why feminism was created, because females needed equal opportunity. Many feminists will not agree with me, but that's fine I don't care.
2. Sex is not empowering. Many feminists believe that women should have as much sex as they want because it's "empowering". I flat out disagree. I personally believe that any sexual activity outside of a marriage is wrong, but that's just a personal belief of mine. I do not believe being sexually provocative is empowering. It is actually counterproductive. If you want to receive respect then you need to earn it. If you don't want to be called a slut then don't act like one.
3. I am against the murder of unborn children. Feminists believe that women should choose whether or not to let their child continue living, but I believe that nobody has the right to take away life. All human life is equal regardless of the situation. If you're not ready for a child then don't have sex. Guess what? I don't want kids right now so I am not having sex. I will have sex once I am married and am ready to have a family. And if you get pregnant from rape then you still have no right to end that child's life. Go through with the pregnancy and either keep the child or put it up for adoption. If you don't want the child someone else will, trust me. I know some of these situations are tough, but please try to find someone who will help you. If your child is forming with a disability please realize that it is still a human and they deserve love. There are many organizations that will help you with food, pampers and clothing for your unborn child.
4. Free the nipple is stupid. Having to cover up your nipples isn't oppression, it's called public decency. If you don't understand that then you are mentally impaired. If you want to show your nipples go apply to a nudist group and be nude where nudity is allowed. Just because you want to show your nipples doesn't mean I have to put up with it. Yes, men's nipples are not a big deal, Yes, women's nipples are sexualized. But guess what? You are fighting over two wrinkly dots on your chest. WHO CARES.
So there you have it. Those are the reasons why I tell people that I am not a feminist. I believe feminism is good. I believe that it is needed to help fight oppression. However, America doesn't need feminism as much as other countries do. Feminism is needed where women are beaten, killed, raped and are denied education. The women in America are severely blinded to their own privileges. The reason why Americans ridicule feminists is because American feminism has become a joke. The first and second wave were great, but the third wave is an absolute hot mess, and I refuse to associate myself with it. If you find yourself infuriated with me after reading this, that's okay. My life isn't meant to please you, the same way that your life isn't meant to please me. And hey, don't get mad at me, you guys kept asking me to tell you why I'm not feminist. So there you have it. The end.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This actually puts my beliefs in words too! Why on earth would I hate you after this? Thanks for your honesty and humanity Penny :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like you penny, but I have to desagree on the sex matter... I dont think that a girl who enjoys having sex without being married or in a relationship is considered a slut, after all she is not harming anyone, as long as she feels good about it I have nothing against it... I'm not saying this for personal experience bc I've never been through any situation like that, but for me someone who cheats on the person that they are with at the moment, marriage or not, IS a slut, whether its a woman or a man....

    And I also think that women do have the right to decide if they want to have a baby or not, maybe for your family having a kid at a young age is normal (im just supponsing that) but for mine its not! It would litteraly destroy my entire life whether I kept it or not... and how in the world could I let have a kid and then 'give' it to someone else, thats just not how it works for me...
    One thing is for you to think that you would never do an abortion but you cant say its wrong to someone to do it when their life and beliefs are different from yours...

    And about the nipples, I get what you're saying but for example, you let your body hair grow right? and that's totally fine for me, but some guys (the stupid ones) may say that its 'disgusting', so why is it so wrong to show a nipple for you and its not to show your body hair? Isnt shaving, for women, something that you have to do in order to fit in society?

    Maybe I'm desagreeing so much with you on those matters because my culture is different from yours (I'm from europe) and also I dont have any religious beliefs, I dont even intend to get married, thats not something important for me...

    But I agree so much with the last paragraph... some women, that already have all the rights they need, take advantege of being a feminist, in a way that makes feminist seem a stupid fight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, people wanted to know my stance on feminism so I shared my stance. The same way I cant change your mind you can't change mine. I will never push my beliefs on other people, but if someone asks me what my beliefs are I will be blunt. Thanks for your support.

      Delete
  4. Question: if you just wrote 'Who cares' about freeing your nipples, does it matter if they are see through? I mean you basically said 'it bothers me, but I don't care'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I say, "They're just nipples, who cares". I don't mean in the sense of supporting the movement. I am saying, "who cares" because people are making it a huge deal. Having to cover up two dots on your chest is NOT oppression.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey man totally respect your views and morals. Everyone's different and it's cool you were completely honest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, i think that abortion should be left up to the women or the couple. It isn't my place to tell someone else they can or cannot doing something because of my morals. Not everyone believes what you and i believe about killing unborn children, but the minute that we start telling them that they can't do something is the minute that we start forming a baby dictatorship. We can't tell people what to do because if they want to do, they are going to do it regardless of how we feel. You can preach and preach about how wrong it is, but i don't think we should ban abortions.

    Also, that rape statement you made. I feel like that is very touchy subject, but all i know is there is something horrible about growing the child of someone who physically and mentally jacked you up. That also should be left up for the woman to decide. All i know is, i would hate for my sister or for my mother to get raped and then go around for nine months with a mini version of their rapists growing inside them, it would be even worse if there were complications.

    And one more thing before i go, haha. I think that people should have sex if they want to have sex regardless or not they want a baby. I don't know. Its just different for everyone, but i do think that babies should be born out of pure love and admiration whether planned or unplanned.

    Second of, i think women should be allowed to go topless or braless. It boggle me how behind America is because you have women in france who go topless on the beach and no one cares and children are around. We sexual boobs (not so much nipples in my opinion because men have them too, so i don't think that's the big deal. Its the boobs in general) to the point where it's gross if a women feeds her baby in public. It's obscene if a women goes topless even though the majority of the population has seen or will see a pair of boobs in their lifetime. There's nothing wrong with book because they aren't even apart of the reproductive system. It's the vagina. Boobs aren't even that important. Now the reproductive systems on both males and females are left covered, but who started this idea that a women's breasts are shameful and obscene and that they should be left covered because that is indecent? What is indecent about them? I think that they are a form of oppression because there is nothing siginificant about a pair of boobs. They're just there on a girl's chest. We don't go into this much chaos about a man's chest being out because there is nothing important about them. So why do we feel different about a women's chest especially when they are used for something as glorious as food for their newborn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, people wanted to know my stance on feminism so I shared my stance. The same way I cant change your mind you can't change mine. I will never push my beliefs on other people, but if someone asks me what my beliefs are I will be blunt. Thanks for your support.

      Delete
  8. Hey again! Glad I found this! Lol I now understand your views a lot better. You say that other locations in this world need feminism presence, you are correct. But I do still think this country needs it too because though women aren't oppressed like they use to be, oppression still occurs within this country even more so for women of color. Feminism mainly comes from a Caucasian point of view and the main leaders of feminism in this country were white women and still are. But that's another conversation. But thanks for sharing your views. I do think that feminism has taken a wrong turn in the last couple of years but not all women who consider themselves feminist have all these extreme views. Feminism is very subjective. Depending on race, ethnicity, experience, socioeconomic status, etc. you can find a variety of women, who consider themselves feminist, and yet they don't agree with all the "extreme feminist" views. I don't hate you for your views. But understand you. Thanks for sharing and being courageous.

    Paz,
    C.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can respect your views (while disagreeing with many) on all except the nipple thing. The sole biological function of female breasts is to feed babies. Period. Your attitude (shared by many others) is in large part why many women are uncomfortable with breastfeeding, particularly in front of others. The consequence of such an unenlightened attitude is that fewer babies get breastmilk which is far superior to formula in pretty much every way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you in that sense, I completely support breast feeding mothers. However, the part I don't agree with is people who want to be nude for no reason. There are designated areas to be nude where people can go, no need to be a public disturbance.

      Delete
  10. OH MY GOSH I LOVE YOU I TOTALLY AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU JUST WROTE!!! I DON'T HATE YOU I LOVE YOU! MAY GOD BLESS YOU CURLY PENNY AND I'M A 45 YEAR OLD WOMAN WHO NOW LOVES MY LONG CURLY HAIR BECAUSE OF WHAT YOU TAUGHT ME IN YOUR YOUTUBE VIDEOS I'M GOING TO MISS YOUR INFO BUT TAKE ALL THE TIME YOU NEED WE'LL STILL BE HERE

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, I Just wanted to say that i really respect your beliefs, but i just really really want you to know that you are 100% right. You are not a feminist. Because what you think and everything you wrote, is the total opposite of what feminism stands for. Im not trying to say this in a bad way, just saying things the way they are. Feminism stands for equality for men, women and all genders, as the freedom to do, act, and say what they want to and be treated the same way as response.
    All that being said, i'm not criticising anything, just making an important point.
    Have a nice day :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually cry because people think abortion is a woman's right... I completely hate that this has become feminism ideology
    after have a stillbirth at 16 and then seeing girls in my highschool go get abortions; I immediately hated it and it made me sick everytime I heard of it.
    i'm actually really happy i found you blog this made me smile (:

    ReplyDelete
  14. >Complains about breastfeeding and the right
    >Thinks everyone should accept pubic hair, and shouldn't complain
    Top kek, Penny-san, top kek.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey just wondering: Do you think that a woman breastfeeding in public is bad? Because I know in one of your posts you say that body hair is natural and feeding a baby when it's hungry would be natural so why say that you can't have nipples out?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey just wondering: Do you think that a woman breastfeeding in public is bad? Because I know in one of your posts you say that body hair is natural and feeding a baby when it's hungry would be natural so why say that you can't have nipples out?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agreed with legit everything you said! You're such a good writer Penny :3

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my god, i love you even more after reading this lol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. thank you for so eloquently explaining your point of view! Thank you for having the courage to do so.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Don't Wear Makeup

The Stigma Against Black Hair